Thursday, August 6, 2020

Quick Crafts with Kris: Cork Board Necklace Holder

I have recently come into possession of many necklaces. Not fine jewelry or anything, more like costume jewelry. My mother-in-law is hoping to move soon and is downsizing. I am getting a lot of her jewelry (and baby pictures of Ben), and Allyson is getting a lot of her shoes since they wear the same size now. (Ugh.)

One of the girl-related struggles I have always had is: Finding a decent way to store all my necklaces. I have a little jewelry armoire that sits atop my dresser, and it does have necklace hooks, but you have to pretty much fold the chains in half to get them on there.

I have an old cork board hanging over my crafting table in my bedroom. I also have an abundance of scrapbook paper (my mom works for a home health company; one of her clients is a hoarder who is also trying to downsize). And with those two things, I had an idea.

I've seen where you can decoupage craft paper to cork to make pretty bulletin boards. I do have Mod Podge. I do not have patience. So I used my handy-dandy stapler instead.

So here it is, step-by-step (with pictures!):

1. I ordered some of these push-pin hooks.  These will obviously be used to hang the necklaces on.

(Bonus: Barbara head. Hi, Barbara.)

2. Figure out how to detach ugly cork board from wall, where it has been attached with Command strips. Ultimately decide to leave it where it is.

I guess some people would call this "well-loved." It's just ugly, guys.

3. Select two styles of scrapbook paper - one sheet of a pattern and two sheets of a coordinating solid. Staple the solid sheets to the cork board. You can probably get away with stapling one full sheet and then trimming the other to fit, like I did.

Don't worry if it's not perfect. You're the only one that's gonna really care.

4. Position the patterned sheet as close to in the center as you can get it. Staple that baby right on there.

5. Stick in your hooks and hang your necklaces. Try to leave ample room. Or not. Do whatever, just don't come crying to me if your stuff gets tangled.



Voila!  (And yes. Yes, that IS an Iron Man Arc Reactor necklace. I'm quite proud of it.)

See? A pretty display for my necklaces, and minus the time it took for the hooks to get here it took me all of five minutes.

And now, I'm gonna go bug my giant child. Well, not giant. She's over five feet tall now, at any rate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment