Tuesday, October 20, 2020

How I Turned Dollar Store Frames into a Shadow Box

Recently I came to own a Cricut Explore Air 2. I've made a few projects with it so far. I'm not doing it for the money or anything; the market is way oversaturated as far as that goes. So I just do them for myself, family, and friends.

I saw a Christmas shadow box project on Pinterest and loved it, but empty shadow boxes are expensive as heck. So, with Google's help, I came up with a solution. And here is a quick tutorial for you. Keep in mind that I am not in any way, shape, or form a professional anything. (Professional pain in the rear, maybe. But that doesn't pay as much as you'd think.)

With that disclaimer out of the way, onward. (As an aside, Onward was a super cute movie.)

First, procure two picture frames from Dollar Tree. They should ideally be identical, but at least the same size. The frames should be a similar thickness. I suppose if you don't end up with the same color frames you could paint them. I figured I was already doing enough.



This next step is optional, but I cleaned the glass with a lens wipe first.



I cut out my vinyl. Hobby Lobby was having a half-off sale on their Paper Studio products, and I knew this gold glitter vinyl would be perfect.

(Another reason I'm not selling: I cut the top off the y. Whoops.)

Glue the glass into the frame with your adhesive of choice. Mine is Gorilla Super Glue Gel. (And it was at this point I should have cleaned the glass again. Ehh.)


Remove the glass and cardboard backing from the second frame. Put the cardboard backing on the wrong side of the paper you've chosen for your background and trace around it, then cut and glue to the cardboard (the part without the hanging stuff/easel). Then glue that into the second frame.








(I know, I know, I cut it too short. But that part's going to be covered up so whatever.)

This is a red foil Buffalo check paper I got from Hobby Lobby and I want to cover every surface in my house with it. Make sure you position it to where the easel part is sticking out of the front of the frame. 

Now (and I forgot to take pictures of this step) put your filler on this part. I used two bags of jingle bells from Dollar Tree. Then glue the frames together back to back.



And voila! A cool Christmas shadow box that costs less than an empty shadow box itself would have.

It's not perfect, obviously, but who is, you know? I love it and that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment