Thursday, May 11, 2017

One of those "the parent learns from the kid" moments.

Today, Allyson had, by her estimation, kind of a rough day.

The third graders are doing a sweet Mother's Day program tomorrow afternoon (I have the day off and I am SO EXCITED I get to go!). Today they were doing the finishing touches on some projects, one on one with the teacher.  Some of the other kids in Ally's class were being kind of loud, so Allyson didn't hear her teacher call her name.

"...and Mrs. Smith said it wasn't my fault, but it was really hard to stop crying," she told me, sadly. The two main noise culprits apologized, but it was still tough to take.

(As an aside: Noise Culprits would make a really excellent band name.)

Then, at the after-school program at the Boys and Girls Club, she was playing dodgeball in the gym (voluntarily, at that) when she and her bestie Ashlyn collided. Ashlyn seemed unharmed but Allyson bonked her nose pretty hard. Not enough to bleed or be broken, but just enough that it still hurts hours later. Ashlyn apologized and Andy (an adult, I'm guessing?) gave her an ice pack, but still.

"I just had a rough day," she told me.

But then, she told me something else.

"I can think of something good, though. We got to play outside at recess today, and Ashlyn and Austyn-Marie and I did jump rope. It was a nice day out, and we had fun."

See what she did there?  She had a rotten day, and she found something good in it.

How many times have I let my day be ruined just by one or two rotten incidents, and completely overlooking the good stuff that happened? Too many times, that's how many. (I totally blame working in retail for this.)

It's human nature to let a bad mood get the better of us. We need to take a cue from Allyson, and find the good parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment