Thursday, June 1, 2017

What a heart.

Two stories about Allyson:

1. Her birthday is at the end of July. The last day of school was last Friday, so Allyson's teacher let her bring birthday treats in last Tuesday. I asked her what she wanted to bring; she was adamant and unwavering from the fact that whatever she brought had to be gluten free. No substitutes whatsoever, gluten free or else.

I said, "Why? You're not gluten free."
"No, but my friend Addie is."
"I remember that. But doesn't Mrs. Smith keep a stash of snacks for her in her desk?"
Allyson sighed a big, you-don't-get-it sigh and said: "I know that. But I just want Addie to be able to eat the same stuff as us. Then she won't feel left out."
My heart grew three sizes as I searched for suitable options. We settled on Fruity Pebbles bars (available at stores that are not Wal-Mart, apparently).

Allyson came home that day with this report:
"Oh, man, Mommy. Those cereal bars were really good! Everyone in my class thought they were delicious. And Addie thought it was super-great that someone finally brought in something she could eat that wasn't fruit snacks. I bet she gets sick of those."

2. Today, we met up with Allyson's friend and her sister at a school nearby. It's a grade school attached to a junior high. The girls played on the playground while their mom and I walked around the track at the junior high. I bet we were outside for about an hour. In that hour, I managed to get sunburnt. My legs are still pasty, but my arms and especially my face are nice and red. (Thanks a buncho, Irish genes. Why couldn't I get the Italian tanning gene, like my brother?)

After that and a trip to the library (three Magic Kitten books, two Magic Treehouse books, one Monster High DVD), we went home for a bit. Then my mom wanted to go to Ulta and Target so Ally and I tagged along. We were at Ulta, where my mom was looking at face masks; Allyson asked what a face mask does.

"Well," I said, "you put it on your face and it draws out all the dirt and gunk and makes you pretty."
"Huh. I think I want to try one."
"Nah, Al. You don't need that. You're pretty already."
"You are too."
*scoffs* "Sure I am, kiddo. I'm not wearing any makeup today and I'm sunburnt from being outside for an hour. I'm a mess."
"NO. STOP IT. You are so pretty!" She grabbed my hand and marched me toward a mirror. "See?! Look at how pretty you are!"

Well, I still think I look like a mess today. But Allyson thinks I'm pretty anyway.

This child and her heart astound me day by day. She has such a heart for others. She knows how to make a friend feel included. She knows how to make me feel beautiful, even when I'm a mess.

Now if only I could get her to keep her room clean... (kidding. maybe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment